Thursday, April 2, 2009

3 Ideas for Next Video:

#1: A continuation from first experimental idea, documenting life from the perspective of an inanimate object or multiple objects.

I really want to try to execute this video from the perspective of a shoe. My first video allowed the viewer to see such interesting textures when jelly came so close to the lens. Since shoes walk everywhere, I could create a visually rich movie that documents a shoe's trek through a large number of dirty, gritty environments.

#2: I am thinking about combination of stop motion light painting photography and full motion video to produce a film. I have seen a couple videos based on this concept in the past, and I think I could create an interesting narrative or documentation of a nighttime space using this technique.

#3: My favorite shot from Maya Deren's "Meshes in the Afternoon" is the one where she takes a few steps, yet appears as if she has traveled a great distance. I want to make a movie based around this concept that has the character move from one space to another by , exiting the frame of the shot in different directions by different means. I want to force continuity, and make the character travel where they would not be able to travel otherwise.

----------

Edit:  I just had another idea... where i could create a narrative that would be a combination of animation and video based around the interactions between living tattoos on a person's body.

6 comments:

  1. I think that ideas one and three are both interesting. I don't really understand idea number two...The perspective of the shoe would allow for some really interesting shots and equally interesting editing. If you haven't seen it already, check out the trailer for Where the Wild Things Are. I think the editing could apply to both your shoe idea and your traveling idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really compelled by your first idea. There are so many unique shots, angles, and perspectives possible with this type of film and I'd be excited to see what comes of it. You seem to show from your 2nd project that you're good with moving the camera so I think you'd have no issues recreating the perspective of a shoe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel all three of your ideas have potential to be great films. Painting with light expecially could bring about some beautiful footage. I know that james turrell incorporates this into his installments so there could be some nice inspiration there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the 'painting with light' idea is a little unclear, but im sure if i saw an example or got a more detailed explanation, i would understand what you meant. But with that said, i think this idea is the most interesting. I'd like to see what you come up with if you were to "paint with light". the shoe idea is interesting, but i think you've got something here with the light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ideas one and three could easily be combined but the first idea seems to be your most complete idea. I think your idea of walking through a lot of dirty areas could become a fun way of experimenting with the camera and textures similar to the jelly, for example stepping in dog poop or something like that. But besides walking laterally through space, think of the way we use our feet to move up and down. For example, i think a movie filled with someone walking through all this yuck and grunge would be effectively followed with feet escaping all the trash by climbing a tree fro example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your last-minute idea best. You could go different directions with the overall mood of the piece, it could be casual, elegant, or humorous. I think your research for this one would also be fun and you'd get to know a lot of interesting things about people you might not have known otherwise.

    ReplyDelete